20 February 2007

I'm Waiting For My Mac

It's costing me considerably more than $26, but I don't have to go to Lex and 125th to pick it up.

A laptop (currently a ThinkPad) has been my exclusive portal to the magical world of computing for more than a year now. This works out surprisingly well, though i imagine it's an ergonomic disaster. Anyway, i decided i need a new desktop computer, and of course these days anybody who's not a masochist (or a Linux geek) would buy themselves the most tricked-out Mac Pro they can afford. Plus all my friends and co-workers have them and i'm falling behind.

The various parts will be dribbling in over the next few days: the box from Apple, monitors from Dell, assorted software and peripherals from various vendors. Yay! Geek Christmas!

Now, i told myself that i would buy this thing only if it was going to be useful for my day job, which is (primarily) Windows software development. So, i'm really hoping Parallels works out; someone i know has successfully run Visual Studio in the thing, so the only remaining question is whether i can get various smart-card readers and Windows CE devices to talk to Windows in a VM without too many glitches. Here's hoping!

No comments: